Reasons why at Agora Sant Cugat International School we believe that educating in sport is educating in health.
Sport is very present in our center and we are fully aware that physical health is essential to achieve emotional well-being, so we are committed to promoting sports and we offer different events and activities to promote it.
“Mens sana in corpore sano”, we all know this popular quote that comes from the satirical poems written by the Roman author Decimus Junius Juvenal, and means “Healthy mind in a healthy body”. At Agora Sant Cugat International School sport is an integral part of the curriculum and we instill in our students a passion for it and healthy habits so that they become physically and emotionally balanced adults. In recent years we have reinforced this facet and we are committed to it.
Reasons why sport should play an important role in education
- Reinforces teamwork and a sense of belonging: for us it is important to educate in values such as respect, tolerance, self-improvement, responsibility and social commitment, all of which are also fostered in sports. Team sports activities, for example, foster unity, companionship and teamwork, learn to respect their teammates and develop a sense of belonging to a group.
- It teaches the value of effort: the practice of sports implies effort and the spirit of personal grow. Self-improvement is a clear objective in our center and the practice of sports teaches that, in order to achieve it, effort is necessary. Moreover, effort has a reward and we are not talking about material rewards: “children should know that effort brings a reward. On the one hand, we have the recognition of the group, which encourages us because we have done something well. But the other part is even more important: personal recognition. Children are aware of their abilities and are proud of themselves when they know they have made an effort and have done something well,” says Beatriz Lucaya, a UIC doctor in Social Sciences, in an interview with La Vanguardia.
- It provides discipline: the practice of sports teaches discipline, there are rules and regulations that must be respected and this also helps students to become familiar with respecting them
- It helps to find physical and mental balance: exercising helps to release stress and let go of accumulated tensions. With the practice of sport, the body releases endorphins, causing a feeling of wellbeing and pleasure, in addition, they act as a natural painkiller.
- Strengthens the immune system: regular moderate exercise strengthens the defenses, favoring a better state of health.
- Promotes fellowship and friendship: Sport also promotes fellowship among students and allows them to socialize and establish social relationships, which is very important in childhood and adolescence.
- Tolerance to frustration and a lesson in reality: “Sport teaches you that things don’t go the way you want them to”, says Pedro García Aguado, host of the controversial program “Hermano Mayor” for troubled youths and former professional water polo player. There is no doubt that accepting that this is the case is a great way to work on tolerance to frustration, to learn to make an effort and is a basic life lesson.
How are sports activities developed in our school?
- Facilities: for the development of sports activities in our center, we have 13,715m2 of facilities, with an artificial grass soccer field, four multi-sports courts and two gymnasiums, among many others.
- Regular exercise and competitions: we encourage exercise at all levels and, for example, students have a weekly swimming session in Infant and Primary. Multiple sports such as handball, volleyball, baseball, baseball, field hockey, rugby, acrosport, badminton or tennis are also practiced during physical education classes.
Our students also participate in school and federated leagues, in more than five sporting events a year, such as the ski and snowboard week in Andorra and La Molina, the “Bicicletada” Against Hunger and the Fair Play Tournament at the Fiesta Mayor, the Sport’s Day or the Rhythmic Gymnastics and Dance Festival.
During the school year, sporting events organized by the school and the Globeducate group are held, in which sport and healthy competition are promoted with the characteristic seal of our school of international education, since more than 500 athletes from different schools around the world compete in the Globeducate Olympic Games.
We take advantage of the summer and Easter vacations to also encourage the practice of exercise and promote a healthy lifestyle among students, therefore, we organize campuses and multisport or technification programs in different modalities.
- Extracurricular activities: we offer soccer, basketball, swimming, athletics, rhythmic gymnastics, tennis, paddle tennis, judo, table tennis, chess, fencing and indoor soccer.
- Nutritional education: to enjoy a good state of health it is not only important to exercise, we know that food is also essential, therefore, we complement the sports activity of our center with a comprehensive health project with which we educate in nutrition and healthy eating habits.
- Major initiatives: our commitment to sports goes beyond that, so we also undertake major sports initiatives: we organize events such as the Volkswagen Junior Masters Soccer Tournament and meetings with elite athletes such as the world paddle tennis champion Fernando Belasteguin, former student and Espanyol FC player David López, synchronized swimming champion Gemma Mengual or professional players from the F.C. Barcelona sections.
Sport is health and should be very present in schools, as it is a good “school of life” for children. It brings values, teaches discipline, instills the value of effort and provides health both physically and mentally. An activity as beneficial as necessary that should have its corresponding space in the educational environment and be part of the project of a school.